Wednesday 7 October 2015

Random Photo - It's a Hill... Get Over It!

One of the plus points to take from what has been a pretty disappointing summer is my increasing fitness. When, after a gap of about a dozen years, I swung my right leg over a bicycle again a couple of years back, I was wondering how long it would take me to get some proper riding fitness back. My last bout of riding hadn't posed too many problems that I could remember, and as a kid, well I was always on my bike, and hills? Well they were just bits where I went a bit slower that was all. So I reckoned this time around it wouldn't take long to get by biking legs back.

Wrong!

It's a longer hill than the photo shows, honest. this is just near the top.

I'm a chunk older nowadays, and had also done a fair bit of smoking in the meantime too (although I have also successfully given up... again...) and the fitness has taken a long time coming. But this year I feel I've really taken a big step forward, probably thanks to riding all year round whereas the previous winter I missed three months entirely.

The area this increased fitness is noticed the most is in my ability to scramble up and over some of the bad ass hills on the lanes I populate. Some of these are what are technically known in geological circles as 'right steep buggers' and would surely test even the most enthusiastic of hill climbing pro racing cyclists. Look up 'vertiginous' in the OED and it'll say something like 'steep' and 'see Tregassow Lane or Lanner Mill hills in mid Cornwall'. 

Probably.

The hill in the photo above is a mere bump compared to some of the ugly gradients I encounter, but even that one would see me walking up it to start with. Now I barely notice it, which is just as well, as looking at it on the map shows a disturbing lack of tightly packed contours and those little arrows used to mark 'sod that' climbs.

But I have also recently found myself conquering those slopes I previously had no chance of getting up. Alright, I might still be puffing like the Flying Scotsman and my legs burning like a second home in Wales, but at least I can now make it up and over them, and carry straight on without needing a rest at the summit. Now I admit all my bikes are equipped with a granny gear for winching up the lumpy bits, but still, I'm pretty pleased to see such an improvement, it is very encouraging and erm, uplifting, in fact.

So now I look at prospective routes for a particular day's ride and no longer dread or fear the hills I once blanched at, and my enjoyment of cycling has gone up several notches as a result of the feeling of added freedom I've gained. I might still conk out at the top of one with a heart attack one day, a constant worry given my age, but at least I will have made it to the top probably, and not gone into meltdown only half way up a slight slope, which would be plain embarrassing.

It's like everything really, practice makes perfect, and the more you ride up hills, the more your body gains the required fitness, and you acquire the technique best for you. For me, I just get into the granny gear early on, and just pedal and not worry about whether I make it as far as last time, or to the top or whatever, and that's what works for me. Nine times out ten now, I find myself riding over the top of some gruesome climb with barely a thought given to baling out.


The trick now is to continue building on that fitness and not let it slip this coming winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment