Saturday 13 February 2016

This winter really has been a wet and horrible one, with little to recommend it weather wise at all. The novelty of the rain and wind combo wore off some time back in October, now it is just getting tiresome. For a lot of us I suppose it is just that – a tiresome inconvenience, for some folk up country though it has meant disaster in the shape of flooding, but it must also be causing the farmers all over a lot of headaches too if the land around here is anything to go by.

This end, the St Erme end of Tregassow Lane, is always a bit wet, but this just a titchy puddle, just a tad damp, compared to a stretch a bit further along.

I'm no agricultural expert, but I doubt the fields are good for anything much at the moment, waterlogged as they are. My neighbour who is a gardener hasn't been having much luck either. This time of year is normally spent pruning trees, and erecting fencing and so on, but any garden just turns to mud as soon as foot is set on it at the moment, so people have been cancelling work until it can be carried out without trashing the carefully tended lawns.

Bimbling along the streaming wet lanes, looking at the sky reflecting off the stripes of water sat in rows up the fields, I couldn't help but wonder what effect all this bad weather really has for some people, animals, and businesses too.

I'll be glad when spring and summer come and (hopefully) all the muck and slop dries out, and a bike can be taken for a ride without needing a thorough wash immediately afterwards. But it's also a small price to pay for living in the country really, better these lanes than busy streets as far as I'm concerned.

 This section of Tregassow Lane is now more like a canal, and still the rain keeps falling.


Bikes are very good at making one feel like a kid again - give me some water to splash through and I'll show you a very happy old codger.

It was just a quick six miles around my regular loop for me yesterday, and again, I had thought I'd take the Voodoo out for a spin as it hasn't had a ride in a couple of months, and there's nothing wrong with it at all. But... Fatso was already dirty while the Voodoo is clean. Fatso is easier to fish out and well... I just like my riding Fatty flavoured at the moment, even though the lanes, even at their muckiest worst, are a long way from a fat bike's supposed territory of snow and sand.

 At least there was a break in the wind and rain for me to exploit, although it was still drizzling throughout this short ride. It soon turned back to heavy rain again though just a couple of hours later.

Delicious hot or cold the bag says. But given the contents appeared undisturbed maybe the prospect of actually eating whatever is inside wasn't so appealing after all.

So although just a short tootle about, it was still an eye opening one at times just seeing how land I'm so familiar with can look so wet and lifeless, although I did notice the Daffodils are coming through nicely as a couple of large fields are starting to turn yellow already. Fetching them in will be a very muddy, energy sucking, foot clawing, job I imagine.


On the bridge over Trevella Stream, on the wooded section of Tregassow Lane.


Let's just hope we have a good spring and summer, we certainly need some respite from all this wet stuff.


A better map and more info can be found Here


No comments:

Post a Comment