Monday 11 September 2017

Online Retail Guilt.

I am a fan of my local bike shop, or shops in fact, as they have two branches, both within easy range for me, and I wish I supported them more, but sometimes it's hard to ignore the benefits of the online retailers. 

Last week I had two orders arrive through the post and they kind of illustrate just what the LBS is up against.

I'm a big fan of KMC chains these days, no more dicking about with pushing iddy biddy pins in with chain tools, then snapping ends off and hoping you've done it all properly. No, give me the quick link every single time. KMC chains seem to last longer too, although that could be me having a more stringent cleaning and oiling regime nowadays.

So as my LBS seems to only stock Shimano guff, it was to Wiggle I went as Fatso needs a new chain, and also because they knock out tins of GT 85 for two quid each compared to £4.99 locally. I get through loads of the stuff, mainly for cleaning those chains and accompanying cassettes and derailleurs. A great degreaser I find, and of course, it smells good enough to bathe in...

So last Sunday afternoon, at about 3 pm I placed an order with Wiggle, opting for the free (three or so days) delivery. A bit later I received an email saying my goods had been despatched, which was good I thought, but was fully expecting delivery Tuesday or Wednesday. To my considerable surprise, my bits arrived at about 11am on Monday morning by courier. That's pretty impressive I must say. Of course, I could've got the bits even quicker from my LBS which is open on a Sunday, but not the chain I actually want, and it would've all cost a chunk more too. 


There are other issues here too of course, and the rapid delivery of my order meant some poor sods working on a Sunday, something I always hated when I had to do it. Some people don't mind of course, it may suit them in many ways, but despite not being religious, I'm one of the 'Keep Sunday Special' brigade. 
I'm old enough to remember when it was only a few newsagents and petrol stations that opened on a Sunday, and only a handful of people had to work. That enforced day away from the hustle and bustle of life was important I think in recharging one's batteries - lazing late in bed, maybe having breakfast in bed with the Sunday papers, a relaxed lunch then a walk or drive in the country and so on. Sooner or later, Sunday will become just another day, and more and more people will have to work to support those businesses who want to trade on a Sunday.

But I'm a hypocrite, happily prepared to strangely misplace my principles and nip into a bike shop on a Sunday when it suits, so I feel guilty about that as well! Darn bicycles... corrupting your virtue and filling you with remorse, and it's not just how much you spend that fills one with shame, it's when and where you spend your money as well.

The second order was the Ergon grips that I blathered on about in my last post.
Here was another example of a retailer with a big online presence (they've got proper shops as well) coming up with a deal that my LBS probably couldn't get near. 

I don't know if my LBS could've got hold of a Marin for me, they're not dealers for them, but sometimes these things can be overcome. But I doubt they could've got anywhere near the deal I got from Rutland Cycling on the Pine Mountain. Not only did I get £350 off the list price, but I earned £50 in bonus/loyalty points as well. 
I hadn't paid much attention to the loyalty points situation I must admit, these things nearly always come with a catch and often fail to live up to appearances. But I received an e-mail from Rutland reminding me of my points, and so wanting to change the grips on the Marin, I ordered them up, priced at £29.99 and they were the only item in my order. I half expected the order to be rejected due to some small print detail about value of goods ordered having to exceed the value of points surrendered or something, but no, it all went through, the grips arrived and not a penny left my bank account. 


My LBS do throw freebies in with bike purchases, and give discounts to regulars and all sorts, but they are up against some very tough opposition indeed.

I'd hate it if either, or both, of my local LBS branches closed, I really would, like many shops, they are a local business with a well known and long history. Too many local businesses have already disappeared from the high street to be replaced by phone shops and the 'everything's a pound' places, and it's all a crying shame. So much local history and individuality lost forever.

So anyway, I need to go in my LBS and beg forgiveness, and buy something as well, that wouldn't hurt. I usually end up buying something when I wander in anyway, spur of the moment purchases are always the best ones after all. What to get though if spontaneity fails? Gloves... fingerless gloves, as mine truly are disreputable looking now, that'll ease my conscience, for now. Mustn't go in on a Sunday though...

---------------

No comments:

Post a Comment