Wednesday 7 February 2018

At Last! Snow!

Well alright, a little bit of snow. No huge drifts, no villages cut off, no skiers hooning down the slopes of the Cornish Alps, not even any schools closed - that is how little snow we had yesterday morning, and anyone who knows how readily some schools lock their gates at the merest threat of a cold snap will realise we're not talking about snowmageddon here.

But yesterday morning as I levered myself out of bed and peered out the window, there was indeed snow falling, and settling too, albeit only in the kerbs and hedges. Not enough for the local kids to make a snowman, uh-uh, not even a snowborrower to be honest. A white out it was not.

But snow is snow and down here in Cornwall we have to make the most of what little we get so I was still quite excited and vowed to get out on Fatso at some point, even if you'll see a heavier coating of whiteness atop a sponge cake.

The main question though was when to get out for a ride? Leave right then and make do with what little there was or wait and see if any more snow fell and things got a bit more picturesque? My back was still giving me grief so I knew that I'd only really manage a single ride so I consulted the weather forecast as provided by the Met Office. Now I do give these forecasts some stick now and then, but I'm happy to also give them praise when they get it right, and they certainly got it right yesterday morning. The graphics showed an 80% chance of snow around 10 am and again at 12 pm, with a drop off in between. So I waited a while, had some coffee and set off just before 10.


See what I mean about not having much to brag about in the snow stakes? This was the state of affairs along my beloved Tregassow Lane as I winced, grimaced and gurned my way about the countryside.

Ah yes, now I mentioned my back was still a bit tricky, well it was very tricky. Even on Fatso which gives the least harsh ride of all my bikes courtesy of the fat tyres, I was still getting pain rocketing up my upper back, across my shoulders and chest with every lump or bump in the road, even though I know where all the bumpy bits are and can brace for them. It was painful going, and when I say I was Gurning, I mean it. For those outside of the UK and wonder what Gurning is, it's pulling a face. So imagine if you will seeing a cyclist riding along pulling faces, like this...


Or this...


Even this...


And you will get the idea. Those are web found photos by the way, not actual photos of me, I'm not as handsome as those chaps.

So anyway, riding and photographing was turning out to be a struggle, but there was snow fer heaven's sakes! I spend all winter praying for snow so when we get some staying home is not an option!

It wasn't just an iddy biddy bit snowy, there was ice about too, most notably across the top of puddles. This here entrance to a field has been a muddy quagmire lately, best avoided, but yesterday it appeared to have a good covering of ice. The puddles certainly did, and a tentative poke of a toe suggested the muddy ground was nicely frozen too. 
Well, first appearances can be deceiving, as as soon as I trod with my left foot and attempted to wheel Fatso across a puddle, the icy crust gave way with a crunch and my boot plummeted into the gloopy glunge and Fatso's wheels broke through and into the icy water. The upshot was mucky feet and a very mucky pair of tyres, as can be seen. But to hell with it, I was going to get at least one photo of a snowy scene so I gamely pressed on stogging about in the mud to get the above photo.

Back aboard the bike and the presence of ice in places made things a little scary as the last thing I needed was a prang, so I engaged Nervous Nelly riding mode and avoided the snowy bits just in case. This was already turning out to be a long ride and I did consider turning back, but you know, press on while I still can and all that, there maybe something better round the corner I'd not want to miss. And it's snow... Got to make the most of a bit of snow when we get it...

Hmmmm, not much to see here on this much photographed by me section of Tregassow Lane, but I still took a shot 'cos I like this bit of lane.

As promised by the Met Office it started snowing again just after 10 am, although it's hard to see in this shot. Neither of my two 'proper' cameras are weather sealed, so long exposures on the tripod weren't really an option as I couldn't find a place to set up where the wetness wasn't reaching. So it was a case of being quick on the draw with the compact, whizzing it out of my bumbag, leaning over the camera while I held it close to my waist while I set it up then raising it, pointing and shooting quick.

Trevella Stream.

It's amazing how a bit of snow dampens noise as even before it started snowing again, all was very quiet as the air, thick with impenetrable snow, was muffling the usual noise of distant traffic and so on. As usual I had a stop and poke about where Tregassow Lane crosses Trevella Stream, this time spotting a freshly downed lump of tree across the stream.

Here, under the trees at the edge of Trehane Wood, the softly hushed murmur of whispering snow falling on the leaves and branches really was utterly magical and despite being in some discomfort with my back, I stood dead still for a minute or so just looking around and listening, taking in the moment. That alone was worth the pain and effort of getting out and about, and I really must start doing video!
The snow might've been falling but it wasn't posing any threat, not being heavy enough and was also more of the wetter variety of flake, so wasn't settling and not adding much to the little whiteness we already had.

T'other side of Trehane Wood and once again the snow is hard to see in this shot, but t'was falling quite nicely and just a shame it wasn't sticking.

 Now you can see it a bit better...

Aw bums, that bike was clean before I set off... As it lives indoors I had to wash the mud off the tyres before putting it back in my living room. A full wash was out of the question - far too much aggro.

T'is a blizzard I'm telling thee! 

Now on setting off I did have in mind 'Snow photo cliche number two - Daffodils in the snow.' Unfortunately, all the wild Daffs that are very much in evidence on the verges and hedges have yet to flower, but I did spot one or two had popped out in the Parish Council flower beds in my home port. Not much snow visible again though...

So we finally did get a dusting of the glorious white stuff, but by the time I'd managed to get myself out of the shower it had all gone thanks to the falling snow having turned to rain.

My back was pretty grim too, I'd aggravated it rather well despite it being just about the slowest trip round my regular loop I've ever done.

As it turns out, I should've kept my powder dry and waited until this morning as overnight we had more snow and a proper covering when I peered out into the weird grey light. Damn! This would've made much better photos and more fun riding too, but no way was I able to get out, not even into the garden for a shot, so I had to let it go, and go it has as once again some rain and then bright sunshine has seen it all off. 

So that's the news from one rather frustrated Bimbler. Had I been fitter I would've ridden to some far more photogenic places but going off road was out of the question, as was going too far from home. But still, as I used to tell my ex wife, a little is better than nothing at all, and that moment of wonder when I was stood under the trees listening to the snow more than made up for the disappointment of not being able to make more of the day.

Now I've just got to hope it's not three more years before we get another light dusting, let alone the eight years since we last had a proper, heavy, fall of snow!

---------------

No comments:

Post a Comment