Thursday 14 June 2018

More Rides and Some Random Stuff.

Storm Hector is upon us at the moment, well, down here we're getting the very edge of it, but the weather forecasters still gave grave warnings of heavy rain and strong winds. They also promised that said rain would batter down the pollen and give we runny nosed, teary eyed Hayfever sufferers a break. So I was looking forward to a sneeze free day when I opened the curtains this morning, but never mind the weather for a mo, as my eye was immediately caught by a splash of vibrant red flopping about in the breeze down by the kerb at the front of the house. Bump starting the nervous system with coffee could wait a few minutes, I needed to get out and grab a photo of this heroic little flower before some kid picked it, or my neighbour reversed his van over it or something...



How I haven't noticed this Poppy before I don't know - it's right outside my front door for pity's sake, but there we go. I assume it's a Poppy of one flavour or another anyway, I haven't looked it up for definite, but it certainly looks like one.
Great to find such a colourful and delicate looking flower in a fairly hostile place for growing though.

What else?

Oh yes, time was when the countryside was full of strange cruciform figures stood motionless in fields like some sort of punishment or maybe a sacrificial offering to the gods of vegetable growing. Quite what any aliens visiting would've made of such sights I don't know, but I don't suppose they stuck around long to find out.

Scarecrows were first used by the Egyptians to keep Quail away from their Wheat fields along the river Nile and their use spread worldwide in fairly short order, and they have remained in employment if not always as successfully as would be hoped, ever since. They are a rarer sight these days though, more likely to be found on allotments or in back gardens than out in the fields, where more modern and efficient methods of scaring birds away have been developed.


 Birds, particularly Crows, are highly intelligent, and soon work out that the strange figure stood guarding the field is pretty harmless. Clearly, something better was required.

An unemployed Scarecrow recently.

Nowadays there are all sorts of inventive and cunning ways of scaring birds, mostly using visual methods of giving them a fright, but farmers have brought in the big guns, literally, and the once peaceful countryside can now sound like a battlefield at times.

 This beggar scared the hell out of me about a year ago, making me jump violently as I tootled along a lane, enjoying the ride. It was in the corner of a field around which the lane wrapped itself, and pointing out of the field across the road towards the edge of a wood, so anyone passing along the lane here got the full effect.

 I wanted to sneak into the field and stuff flour bombs down the pipe of this one and start mortaring the farm workers...

I haven't found any rules and regulations regarding the use of these things, only guidance from the National Farmers Union. This one though also gave me a jump when it went off as I was passing at about five thirty in the morning a couple of weeks back. A tad anti social as there is a house nearby, and that thing is pointing straight at it (maybe the farmer and home owner don't get along...).

Thankfully, the Scarecrow maker's art is not entirely lost these days and there are even Scarecrow festivals in some smaller towns and villages keeping the tradition alive, and though they may not have scared too many birds away, I much prefer the traditional bundle of straw and old clothes standing in a field to these explosive devices going off willy nilly. 

Rides, let's get onto a few rides I've had recently.

Back on the third of June, I thought I'd have me some Bridleway action, and a second visit to the Choon Bridleway that I'd first explored just before Christmas, and follow that up with a potter along the Tregavethan Bridleway that I know well. 

A good old ride around for sure and come the day itself, fresh from my recent ride to Portloe, I was feeling fit as a fiddle and in an unusually fast and competitive mood. I'm a bimbler, I potter slowly about and my idea of a personal best is the lowest average speed for a ride I can make. An average in the low single figures is a sure sign of a good ride enjoyed well. But on this occasion for some reason I was feeling alarmingly athletic and set off mashing Fatso's pedals as if my life depended on it and speeding through the countryside at for me, quite unknown and unheard of velocities. Enjoying the ride as I was I didn't stop for any photos at all until well onto the first Bridleway, several miles into the day's ride.

The Choon Bridleway lies off the main road towards the A30 from Shortlanesend, and to begin with, utilises a farm track and one of the most jarring, teeth rattling cattle grids I've come across.

Not long after the cattle grid the lane bears left and into the farm yard, while the Bridleway carries straight on, plunging into the scenery and vegetation. I copped stings on the ends of the fingers on my left hand thanks to those nettles, but busting through this sort of growth is something I always enjoy. Anyway, a few stings, bloody scratches and grazes, maybe even a partially severed limb or two, are all signs of a good time spent in the countryside.

There is a track here honest, quite a wide one too, but it is a tad overgrown at this time of year, and this was just the start of it...

I wasn't the only bi-wheeler to pass along here though, these tracks were fairly fresh and narrow too - most likely from a curly barred bike such as a Cyclo Crosser, Gravel Bike or Adventure Bike.

There is a ford marked on the OS Map but in reality it is but a trickle, but having navigated that you then pass through this gate and up towards open farmland.

 The Bridleway passes up the left side of this field, following that hedge.

When first heading into the rough I had gravity on my side which made bush busting a lot easier. On this section however the track runs uphill, and is also very lumpy and bumpy, so pedaling can quickly become hard work, especially as the vegetation gets thicker...



I might've been feeling unusually fit and full of vim and vigour but eventually I had to admit defeat and bail out. Pushing a bike on the road is enough to give my upper back some grief, propelling one through this sort of thick going is guaranteed to give me trouble so I did ponder going back the way I'd come, but decided to press gamely on and hope I didn't really knacker myself.

 I just need to reach those trees...

Almost there...

Once back under the shelter of trees the track becomes a lot easier to navigate as it becomes a sunken lane, bordered by two ancient looking Cornish Hedges, that travels up to where once there was a Medieval Settlement, just over the lane that lies at the top of the track.
A lot of the country lanes I ride follow ancient paths of course, but it's on these Bridleways, with their signs of once busy thoroughfares that I love to wonder just who has passed along before me. No, not that other biker, but way way back in centuries past.

Once at the top of the sunken lane, it's a quick left along tarmac, then a right, and down to Tregavethan, where more off roadery awaits.

Crossing the River Kenwyn at the hamlet of Tregavethan.

This second Bridleway of the day from Tregavethan to Treworder sees a lot of horse traffic but on this day, the going was pretty well perfect, not being too wet and sloppy, nor so dry and hard as to make things really bumpy. The mud here was sort of like the consistency of a Christmas Pudding - wet but still granular and almost powdery, although it did pack the tyre treads out, as can be seen.

There were sections however that featured some proper slop.

I love riding these sorts of tracks, legally going where comparatively few other people go, into places full of peace and quiet (flipping Bird Bazookas excepted...).

Reaching the end of this second Bridleway I got pedaling on tarmac once more amid a pair of muddy Catherine Wheels as all that sticky soil was flung high and far off Fatso's wheels, some even hit me on the back of the head...

Time to wash the remaining mud off the tyres through the ford at New Mills.

Normally I'd take a right at the summit of the first hill out of New Mills, and thence up another long climb to the main road near Shortlanesend, but on this occasion I went left instead and back along the lanes, enjoying the flat going before a lesser climb up into Shortlanesend itself.

The lanes around New Mills feature a lot of fords, here's another where a farm gate also leads off the road.

And the tadpole's eye view from below the water level in the road part of the ford, where the surface is pretty broken up.

We're getting into summer now, but there are still some gnarly treescapes to be found, such as here on the lane down from Shortlanesend to Idless.

Rural random view through a gate at Lanner Barton.

And that was pretty much that for the day. A good old ride around but I was left with the slight legacy of upper back pain from all that pushing through the long grass. But that is the way of things, and after a day of resting up and machine gunning Paracetamol down my throat, things settled back down again, thankfully.

A bit of a figure of eight going on here, and it looks a lot further than it actually was (16.5 miles according to the bike's computer). The Choon Bridleway starts at point 7 and the Tregavethan track at point 8.
Full details can be found HERE

A few days later, on the 6th of June, I took the Voodoo out for a spin around the lanes, this bike not having seen any action for a while seemingly. I use the Voodoo for litter picking rides, but haven't done any recently as there's not much litter to be found along the lanes. I'm sure its there, it's just hard to see as the hedges and verges have become so overgrown. I still pick the odd bit of crap up as I go along, but for the moment at least, actual litter picking rides are on hold.


Foxgloves are pretty spectacular looking as wild flowers go, being not just a vibrant Baboon's arse pink, but also tall and gangly with it. When it comes to being harmful to humans and animals though, these things are pretty well tooled up, being lethally poisonous, so best not added to a salad or with mayo in a sandwich or anything like that.

Random shot.

And another.

Lanes like these might lack spectacular views, or exotic roadside wildlife, or anything else to make for an interesting photograph, but to me they mean peace, tranquility, relaxation, calmness and solitude. They are ever changing too - there's always something new to see, or listen to, going on in the countryside. These lanes are simply the best anti depressant I know.

Two days later and I was out again for another aimless but rewarding meander around the countryside.

Yet another hot and humid day, full of sniffles and sneezes and weird hazy light.

Just bimbling along...

Sometimes the lanes could do with being a bit wider...

The lane between St Erme and Ladock.

A bit of rear or second curtain flash makes for a ghostly effect. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, the camera didn't focus sharply enough on the Foxglove for my liking. Checking in Canon software afterwards show the focus point being bang on the middle of the flower, yet it's soft. 
The lesson I learned here (bet I forget though...)  is to not just check the LCD screen, but to zoom it right in and check it properly before packing up and heading off.

 I love this tree, and have photographed it many times in the past.

Five Bar randomness.

No mention of the friendly dog that is usually found lolling about in the road ready to welcome anyone who comes along.

Just over the summit of a hill on the lane towards Boswiddle and the sun has come out properly.

Yet a bit further down and in amongst the haze the light is a bit weird (although I have lifted the shadows in this shot).

When the sun goes back behind a cloud more normal light resumes.

Both those rides were very enjoyable if not exactly memorable, but I did have another ride, just a couple of days ago, which didn't go so well.

Lovely floral display at Penhale, once again on the Ladock - Boswiddle road.

I'd set out, once again on the Voodoo, for another good old ride, but within a mile or so I knew I wasn't really enjoying it. For a start I'd left my photography head at home. Normally I can barely reach the end of the road without stopping and machine gunning snaps but on this occasion, the photos just were not happening. My head felt heavy and a bit achy, and I think the humid atmosphere and high pollen levels were conspiring to make me feel an unresponsive participant in this ride. I just couldn't 'see' any photos, and it all felt a lot of effort, although I did still bag the flower shot above, but as for bikey type shots, they were just not happening. Wherever I stopped and looked at placing the bike, the shot just looked proper pants. I need a bike related shot from every ride for a Flickr group I'm in so I had to get something, so in the end, on the climb up from Trendeal towards Summercourt, I set up for a ride by selfie.

Finally I bagged a bike related shot.

Just to make doubly sure I had something bike related, I clamped the Gopro onto the crossbar for a random knee's view of the road ahead.

That last ride was no drama though, it's not a worry as I'm sure my lack of oomph was more to do with the heavy and thick, humid atmosphere and my Hay Fever being barely restrained by the tablets, rather than anything more concerning, and I'm keen to get out and snap away again as soon as possible.
The Hayfever really has been the worst I've had for many years, and so far Storm Hector has failed miserably to quell it so I'm still sneezing and spluttering away, and likely will be for a while yet. Of course, riding a bike through the countryside is less than ideal when suffering from a grass pollen affliction, but the alternative is not to go out at all and that's not an option when I'm feeling ok otherwise mentally and bodily.

My main problem is as ever, trying to decide where to go for a ride next, and which bike to take (both Fatso and the mighty Marin are clean as new pins having just had a good scrubbing so don't want to get them too mucky straight away...) but that's not a bad problem to have I must admit.

So that's the lot for now - happy cycling all!

---------------

No comments:

Post a Comment