Tuesday 14 July 2015

Reasons To Stay Alive by Matt Haig.



I've read a few books on Depression and Anxiety, and found them alright in a text booky sort of way, but nothing too dramatic. Nothing that really grabbed me and made me keep reading whenever I could. 

Just recently however I stumbled on Matt Haig's personal story of how he came very close to suicide, his recovery and how positives can be taken from even the lowest points. The reviews on Amazon were very complimentary so I thought I'd give it a go, and I must say it is the best book I've read on the topic so far. Anyone who has suffered with Depression and/or Anxiety will identify with so much of this book yet will also draw a great deal from it. Haig writes really accessibly and honestly, and each chapter is short so is still easy to read when suffering the usual lack of concentration. 

Rather than the somehow detached or clinical feeling of other books I've read, this is very much the inside story, written as if Haig was sat comparing his experiences with a fellow sufferer. It's not all gloom and despondency though, and there is an optimism that goes from the title on the cover to the pages within that is emboldening.

I read this from cover to cover when I first got it, and have since dipped back in to read certain sections again, and no doubt will continue to do so, as it has certainly helped me in many, many ways. I would say this book is a must read for anyone suffering with, or someone who knows someone suffering with, Depression and Anxiety.

Cover price is £9.99 for the hardback (and it is a smallish book physically, good for carrying and dipping into when out and about) but I got mine from Amazon for three quid less. 

Matt Haig's Site.

No comments:

Post a Comment