Wednesday 22 July 2015

Missing - One Summer.


I bought a floppy sun hat earlier this year, eagerly anticipating the clear blue skies and hot sunshine of Summer. The wide brim would help keep those strong rays of sunny goodness off my ears, neck and maybe even my prodigious nose I reasoned. “Well that worked well” I sarcastically thought this morning as I left it hanging on a door knob and opted for a baseball cap instead. It has had a couple of outings, but the weather just hasn't cut the mustard so far.

I always used to say we have two seasons in this country, Winter and traffic jams, well that's living in Cornwall for you anyway. Now though I think I'll amend the two seasons to Winter and two weeks in June. Not a fortnight mind, two weeks, 'cos a fortnight might imply some sort of consistency to proceedings.

Summer 2014 was a peach. We had weeks of waddling sun burned tourists, the smell of barbecues, and music belting out of open windows that go with fine days and long sunny evenings. So this year has been a bit of a disappointment so far, and that's putting it mildly.

Last year was possibly an exception as all this pessimism is nothing new of course - an oft heard description of an English Summer is two hot days followed by a thunder storm. Well that might prove accurate if the weather forecast is anything to go by.

Out for another ride this morning and hacking along an almost overgrown Bridleway it was very humid indeed. A bit like being in the reptile house at a zoo – the clamminess was all enveloping, I was wearing it like it was a Luger's work suit rather than just feeling hot as on a fresher day. The sky looked rather ominous too, very threatening, but didn't deliver any rainfall to refresh my rather sticky and sweaty self.

An enjoyable ride in the countryside along a Bridleway despite the lack of sunshine. Clamminess not shown.

But Friday we are supposed to be getting thunder storms, which is good as I do enjoy a bit of the old crash bang wallop. However I've just remembered that rather than watching the lightning out of an open window and drinking in the air as the ozone, nature's air freshener, does its work, I've got to go into town where I'll have to act like an adult and ignore it all, which is a shame, as we don't get many good storms round here these days either.


No comments:

Post a Comment