Thursday 24 March 2016

Wednesday's Ride Is Full Of Woe.

Yesterday, was a plain day. Rather appropriately as it happens, given yesterday was a Wednesday, a neither here nor there day if ever there was one. Wheeling Fatso out yesterday morning for a tentative ride after my recent back trouble had eased, I couldn't help noticing the weather was outstandingly... dismal. Some beggar had dropped the contrast and saturation sliders down a few notches while my back was turned, and rather than the glorious colours and bright sunshine of my last couple of rides, I was faced with a day full of dull. Stratus Opacus is the rather apt name for what was lurking in the sky, with not a clue as to where the sun might be, hidden as it was behind the all encompassing thick murk that obscured all but the closest features of the landscape.

Flat and dull... and this was after some tickling of the contrast and saturation in post processing.

I felt cold too as I set off, thanks to a light, but still invasively chilly, north north westerly, so it wasn't a promising start to my brief ride, and to be honest, it lived up to that lack of promise magnificently all the way through.


Elsewhere on this lane, the road was covered in fine, powdery soil where recently it was rim deep in water. This part always has general rubbish up the centre of the road, and it can be fun bozzing along on it too, especially where grass grows in the middle as well, as things can get a bit squirrely and squirmy on a narrower tyred bike.

There was nothing really wrong with things, it wasn't pouring with rain, or even drizzling. Nor was it blowing a hooley, or setting the fields ablaze with searing sunshine, everything just felt flat, including my mood. There were some plus points in fact, Tregassow Lane is no longer flooded, indeed it is more like a desert through there now, with the road covered in a dry and dusty, fine powdered soil where recently there had been deep water.

My back was ok too, always a worry just after a flaring up episode, but my short ride was thankfully completed without any extra pain.

I struggled for photographic inspiration as well, hardly surprising really given how lifeless everything else was turning out.


Messing about with the cameras at a junction.

All of which sounds like one big moan, and it isn't really meant to read like that at all, as things could've been far worse of course, and I was glad to be out on a bike again after a short lay off. It's just it really was a bald day, shorn of colour and interest, and lacking life seemingly in all respects. Even the peace, that which I normally crave, seemed a stifled, flattened and smothered quiet, rather than the tranquil and natural calm I normally appreciate.


But still, tomorrow is Good Friday, the weather is set to be better (it's puddling down at the moment) and the roads will be quiet (until the DIY shops open anyway) so another ride is on the horizon, and hopefully that horizon will be a lot further away than it was yesterday.

A quick seven miler around a variation on my usual loops, As usual, the full map is lurking Here


No comments:

Post a Comment