Monday 14 March 2016

Well, like Kim Kardashian, I'm all behind, so not much of a write up this, but still, here we go, let's see what happens.

I hadn't planned another ride for yesterday (Sunday), but after an uncomfortable night trying to sleep and being awake early in the morning and seeing what a cracking looking day it was again outside, I thought I'd chance getting out, and I'm rather glad I did.

So, at just before 8am, I set out on Fatso aiming for Ladock Woods. It really was a stunning morning once again. Like on my previous ride on Friday, there wasn't a breath of wind, but it was pretty chilly to say the least.

For getting out and about, I much prefer early morning to the evenings, as everywhere is quiet and still, and the mind and body are (hopefully) fresh. Once again there was some mist lurking in the dips and valleys as I pottered along, making for some wonderful views, though I was wondering if I'd made a mistake in wearing the short fingered gloves, so cold were my fingers.

Stopping for a quick ride by selfie near Trevella Stream the air was pierced by the rat a tat of a Woodpecker getting busy, or maybe farmers use Uzis these days, but it was the only sound to be heard as I messed about setting up a photo. Moments like that can create a lasting memory, and I really need to get into doing video too, to fully capture these views and sounds together.


Cold fingers aside, the lanes were a beautiful place to be riding early yesterday morning, here above, near Tregear, on the road to Ladock.



One of the great things about the recent good weather is once again being able to do a big wash and get everything dry again on the same day, and I'd done just that on Saturday, including washing the trousers I wear on the bike. I have other pairs too of course, but with this pair freshly dry and to hand, I put them on again. So with my strides all clean again and smelling of Cherry blossom or whatever flavour of washing goo I bought last time, Ladock Woods wasn't perhaps the wisest choice for a ride, as it can be pretty boggy away from the main path through. But never mind, I'm a rufty tufty mountain biker, don't mince about trying not to get dirty, go hard or go home, or something like that.

Who said Fatbikes are slow? Bozzing along in the sunshine approaching Ladock Woods.

Whatever, instead of following the main path as I often do, I turned left by the entrance to the woods onto a much narrower track and immediately upset the locals in the trees above me. My word the crows there make some noise when they get the hump. I don't know why they panic and warn each other that there's one of those upright things wandering around down below, I've no intention of shinning up the trees to come and annoy them or set up home in one of their nests or anything, so I wish they'd chill out a bit sometimes. I say wandering, as I was at that point pushing. Bradley Wiggins here had made the mistake of not changing into a lower gear on arriving at the woods, and attempting to climb the narrow and very muddy hill on the smallest cog at the back had met with instant failure. so rather than ride back down, I went forwards, pushing Fatso until the track levelled out and I could climb aboard, heave on the pedals and swiftly shift down a few gears. Once that was achieved, Fatso once again proved huge fun ploughing on through the mud without losing traction. Those clean trousers were suffering mind, good job I'm not married any more that's for sure, as in the past I would've copped a right old earful had I got some freshly washed item of clothing so mucky first time out.

These woods are Duchy of Cornwall owned, and far muddier than the Forestry Commission's Idless Woods. But never fear, Fatso's here! As long as I keep pedaling, Fatso keeps a grippin' and unscheduled bale outs were avoided. This section above wasn't the worst though by far.

Fatso wuz here...

Cornish Doctor Who (the Doctor's poorer cousin) was out on the beers again Saturday night by the look of it, and his Tardis had a bit of a hard landing...

Poking about I seemed to have the woods all to myself, until I met a couple of friendly dogs on the path, and a few seconds later their owner. She was the only other person I saw in the wood though which is unusual as it is a popular place for dog walkers and Sunday strollers, but it was still early for a Sunday. 

It's not all boggy biking, there is some solid going to be had, but by now bike and trousers were already rather glooped.

I got a lovely smile and 'hello' from these female roadies, as I usually do from girls on road bikes - they just seem more fiendly. It's the blokes who are more likely to ignore me, but just a few seconds after passing these two, a male roadie came along and greeted me with a hearty 'Morning!' so maybe the fine weather was putting everyone in a good mood!


Despite the last few days being dry and fine, there is still a lot of water running off the fields. In this case it runs down the hill on the roadside before disappearing into a drain that emerges into this stream.

Leaving the woods and gaining speed on tarmac really did for my trousers though, and my jacket, even my face and trusty hat got clobbered by flying mud as Fatso's knobblies flung gert lumps of clag in all directions. A pleasant bimble around the lanes followed, before heading home and giving Fatso a much needed tickle from the pressure washer. Mucky trousers I can cope with, mucky bikes I cannot. Whilst I had all the cleaning gubbins out I also blasted the mud off the Voodoo as well, so it was a very enjoyable, and productive morning all round, and I'd say, the best day of the year so far weather wise. It finally felt properly spring like once the sun got some cosseting warmth into the day, and the week ahead is set to remain dry too, so hopefully we really have seen the back of the dreadful winter, and it's all good from here on in!


Once again, the map doesn't show all the off roadery that took place (to the right of the number 5 on the map) but the rest is here so it'll do. The bigger jobbie is Here






No comments:

Post a Comment