Saturday 1 August 2015

Rural Rambles and Unseasonal Snuffles.

Well it's nearly 3 am and once again I can't sleep. That is a fairly frequent occurrence, usually brought about as a result of anxiety, but on this occasion it is because I appear to have a stinking cold. Now that is a bit of a beggar, given that the weather has just had a turn for the better, and mind and body have also been cooperative and given me a good couple of days with which to enjoy some quality bimbling.

Thursday started off with a ride along a new to me path, an increasingly rare event these days as I seem to have poked my considerable nose up every lane and bridleway within range. I hadn't gone up this one before as it was guarded by a no through road sign, and I assumed it merely led to a farm or something. Browsing the maps though showed it to be a path that crosses the main A30 and leads right into the middle of the village of Zelah. What a delight this path turned out to be. It was clearly once a country lane with a fully sealed surface, but for some reason it has been downgraded to a bridleway. It's always good finding a nice bit of quiet right of way to potter along, even better when it can provide a practical benefit and in this case, it'll save me a mile or two compared to my previous routing to and fro.

Pathway leading into Zelah used to be a country lane.

The object of this ride was to once again head over to a favourite area around the old West Wheal Chiverton mine, and mooch about the paths, byways and bridleways that criss-cross the area, presumably the same thoroughfares once used by the miners trudging to and from work. 

The slow shutter speed might suggest a bit of speed, but the speedo gives the game away - 4 mph...
Bridleway near the West Chiverton mine.

The old engine house is also a favourite spot for a bit of morning coffee if I've taken the stove, but on this occasion I brewed up on a pile of granite blocks and rocks a few hundred yards away. Not as scenic perhaps, but still a nice place to take some time, and also it provides somewhere to sit, or just potter about, mug in hand, examining the wild flowers.


Large Flowering Evening Primrose.

This striking looking thing is apparently a Teasel.

Trying to cross the A30 again in a different location as I headed home proved impossible, it was that rammed with traffic. So I turned East onto it and took the Zelah turning, then the road to Shortlanesend which passes beneath the A30. Not the way I intended going, but I'd still be there now I expect, waiting a for a gap in the traffic.

Batter's Shaft engine house of the West Wheal Chiverton mine. More than 45,000 tons of lead and over a million ounces of silver were extracted before the mine closed in 1886.

Then yesterday (Friday) I had another bimble about, a bit closer to home this time, and along a rural footpath that is a delight to ride, but also appears to go absolutely nowhere, petering out before it reaches anywhere useful. It is a footpath, but organised shoots take place in the season in one of the adjacent fields and motor vehicles of some sort or other clearly use it, so this is one footpath I'll ride along – it's not like I can do any damage to it that a 4x4 hasn't already done after all.


Exploring a rural footpath. When I left home the sun was out, hence the less than elegant head wear. Typically though, it disappeared while the camera was out, leaving bright but featureless skies.

I do enjoy pottering along this path though as it provides a great feeling of peaceful seclusion. The only trouble with this time of year is I couldn't navigate all of the path to the end as it is just too overgrown, and I had to get off and push in a couple of places as it was.

Random bike shot towards the end of the ride.

All in all, it has been an enjoyable couple of days of ambling about and the sun hat even got some action. Trust me then to go and get a cold just as the weather picks up!



No comments:

Post a Comment