Thursday 10 September 2015

Country Smells, Water Sports and Jungle Busting Bimbling.

Summer has been and gone, and I hardly noticed it. The weather has been a bit rubbish - while last year's summer was accompanied by the smell of industrial strength sun cream, this year the top hasn't been off the bottle at all.
Last year I was able to string several consecutive days of rides together, but this year they have been very fragmented indeed due to my usual afflictions and/or that weather.

The latest gap in riding action came courtesy of my back, after a trip into town on Friday left it feeling stiff and painful. Not such a disaster if the weather is manky and miserable, but the weekend was a good'un weather wise, as was Monday, and that is just plain frustrating.

But by Monday evening my back was easing up, and plans were quickly made for a bit of a bimble, and so it was that on Tuesday moring I sallied forth to ride a loop of quiet lanes, a short rural footpath (ssshhh...), Byways and Bridleways.

One reason I prefer riding alone is I can do whatever I like, and with photographs very much in mind, that is important, and I'd hardly got into my stride before throwing out the anchors and making a 'uey' to go back and have another look at the view through a gateway I'd just passed. I do this a lot while out riding, not always profitably, but on this occasion my smoking brakes and abrupt u-turn proved worthwhile as the weak early morning sunshine lit up distant trees and shone down through the gate illuminating the mud and puddles surrounding the now photogenically placed bike. Barely a mile in, and with a yard of photos of a cracking rural feel good moment already in the bag, I just knew it was going to be an enjoyable ride.


Not even ten minutes into the ride and I'm already stopped and taking photos.

The sun was in and out the whole morning, usually hiding behind a cloud whenever a camera appeared of course, but the lanes were warm and the air quiet, if a little smelly. A farm yard I passed through was advertising home made looking bags of 'quality fertiliser', a euphemism I imagine for the sh*t left over from being spread all over the fields. My dear life the air was humming, and with a nose as big as mine that can be a problem, I take in more square feet of whiff than most folk, but still, rather that than the smell of petrol and diesel fumes, or a fellow commuters armpit. The smells of the countryside, even several acres of freshly sprayed poop, trump the smells of 'civilisation' every time.

Easywheeling along the lanes.

Old lane leading to Zelah now stops at a kissing gate following the re-routing of the main A30, and continues again on the other side of the main road, but is now downgraded to footpath or 'other public access' status.

The ride took me through Zelah, then Little Callestock and onto the byway leading towards the old West Wheal Chiverton lead and zinc mine. A route probably used the miners on their daily trudge to and from work, but now utilised by farm vehicles, and we 'leisure users' on foot, horseback and bike. Out in the open the surface was fine, but under tree cover it was still very wet and muddy, and I resigned myself to losing the clean as a new pin bike I'd set out on.
Passing the old engine house the landscape opens up and affords some striking views to the west from the byway, but you have to strain to see them over the hedge, but it's worth the effort.
From there it was a short hop along a country lane before arriving at what I think of as the 'Hole in the hedge' bridleway. There are no signs indicating the presence of this right of way, but it is on various maps, and in a handy booklet of off road bike rides to be had in the area. But if you didn't know it was there, you'd easily miss the entrance as it is just a gap in the trees and bushes that line the road, much like the sort of gap left by a Saturday night hatchback crash. 

'Hole in the hedge' bridleway entrance.

This bridleway though, is a real favourite of mine. That lack of advertising and its miles from anywhere location mean it is a quiet and secluded ride along the narrow path through the trees, punctuated in the middle by a small clearing where I always enjoy a bit of a pause to take in the solitude, peace and quiet.

A nice spot to linger and take in the peaceful surroundings.

Byway towards Wheal Frances.

Carrying on, bridleway became byway as I headed past the hamlets of Wheal Frances and Carnkief and into Goonhavern. 

Carnkief byway.

A few hundred yards up the main road towards Newquay then see a turning to the right and another byway that becomes a bridleway, then a byway again. The first bit of byway is notable as it always includes a little water sport. It floods, even in a drought there would be a boggy lagoon to traverse and yesterday wasn't going to be any different, given the rain we've had lately. I have walked along the side of the puddle before, treading in the bushes to the side while wheeling the bike through the stagnant water, but I engaged bravery mode and decided yesterday to ride through it, as it really isn't that big a deal and I'm a rufty tufty mountain biker after all. 

Pah! Easy...

Riding through was a good move too, as I made it to dry ground on the far side, but only by the skin of my teeth. About half way in and going well, the front wheel ran aground on some submerged obstacle and suddenly lurched to the left. I was in danger of being toppled off balance and therefore either being launched into the brambly and bushy scenery beside the track, or having to hastily put a foot down through the water into the clawing mud to save my dignity. But instinct kicked in with my brain calling 'power!' and an emergency heft on the pedals saw me just catch my balance and maintain forward momentum. Shipwreck was thankfully avoided.

Disaster was narrowly averted by a desperate lunge on the pedals...

Earlier bridleways had been easy riding, but this one, while still firm and flat beneath the wheels, is made more difficult by the overhanging vegetation, brambles mostly. It all gets a bit Indiana Jones hacking through the jungle along there but, dodgy back withstanding, it is all good fun. Emerging from this section and pulling various bits of foliage from bike and body as I rode past I surprised an elderly gent tending his hedge as the path switched back to byway status once again. I gave the chap a hearty 'mornin' as I passed but judging by his rather bemused facial expression I imagine he doesn't see many people, let alone anyone on a bike, come busting out of the undergrowth like that.

Final bit of bridleway for the day was a bit overgrown further on.


From there it was a mix of byway, B-road and country lane back to base. The weather had been good, the riding relaxing and enjoyable, and most importantly, my back held up and all the frustrations of the previous few days had been well and truly banished. Maybe I need time away from the bikes now and then just to appreciate what they have to offer all the more when I do get out on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment