Friday 11 September 2015

Made To Feel Awkward on a Coffee Ride.

Waking up early yesterday to another sunny morning and feeling up for a ride, but not knowing where to go immediately, I decided to pack the stove and a selection of coffees and decide over a hot cuppa somewhere pleasant. So I stumbled out of the house rather than bursting forth like they do in TV ads on a sunny day, and still a bit foggy of mind and bleary of eye, set off for the local woods.

Nice morning for it.

Now, you know that awkward feeling you get when you walk into a room and disturb a private conversation? People stop talking and turn and watch you, waiting to see if you're going to stay or take the uncomfortable hint and go – that feeling. Well I got that on the way to the woods, not from any people mind, but rather from a load of cows. There is a gateway half way down the hill I was descending, and I always look through it as it offers rather splendid rural views, and on this morning, the field was home to a herd of cows including a lot of young'uns, so I thought I'd stop and bag a snap or two. Rather than come over to see who I was and get a good rub on the snout like many cows do, this lot just looked up at me, stopped what they were doing (munching) and stared, and then stared some more. 


That awkward moment when you walk into a room and everyone stops what they're doing and stares...

I felt like I was intruding on something and they were waiting for me to go so they could continue whatever it is cows do when we're not looking (my bet is line dancing). So now feeling very awkward with my obvious interuption, I sort of made an embarrassed smile and crossed the road back to my bike, the silent mooeys watching me go every step of the way.

Alright, I'll just go shall I? I said I'll just go... Oh forget it... 

It was as I was getting back on that I saw a fellow cyclist pedaling towards me over the summit of the silly steep, bad ass, section of hill I had stopped on, on what appeared to be a sit up and beg roadster. We greeted each other with a 'good morning' and I couldn't help offering my congratulations on the apparent ease at which he'd climbed such a challenging bit of the hill. “It's electric” he shouted as he trundled past with not a hint of breath shortage and rattled off up the still lightly ascending lane. I hate these electric bikes! I can just about winch my lung busting, leg screaming, face grimacing way up this particular hill and here was this chap sailing up it on some plain looking rattletrap without a care in the world. I eventually thought better of my plans to sneak into the chap's garage one night and unplug his evil, battery powered, cheating smugcycle (“Ha! Let's see you pedal up that hill with your underdeveloped leg muscles now chum!”) and contented myself with settling beside the river in the woods with a steaming Cappuccino instead.

 After a brief furtle in the bag of various coffees I have in stock, I settled on this. Good choice too, it hit the spot nicely.

A nice spot to kickstart the day.

While sat on a stump sipping and savouring the sweet frothy coffee and listening to the water trickling past, I heard something familiar but strangely out of place approaching... hang on, that's an engine, who the hell is driving around the woods at Sparrow's fart on a lovely morning like this? Well the foresters that's who. The growling 4x4 stopped, down hummed the window and one of the chaps inside called me over. They were about to start felling some trees further up the track and were about to close it off, so I would have to exit the woods the way I came in. No problem there, and refreshingly, no problem with me having a camping stove going either. 


Everybody seems hell bent on poking their nose in and spoiling other folk's fun these days, so I was half expecting a 'no fires or stoves allowed' kind of thing, but instead, on asking, I got a thumbs up and a 'no problem.' 

Hmmmm... I definitely won't be unplugging matey's bike now, instead, if I meet him again, I'll give him a cheery wave and a smile, he's just doing his thing after all, as I like to do mine.


Once fueled up with coffee, I had a very relaxing amble around the lanes in the sunshine - a good start to the day then.


No comments:

Post a Comment