Wednesday 16 September 2015

Puddle Pedaling and Selfie Sticks.

Well Autumn is here alright. I seem to have missed summer, must've had my back turned for a mo and there it was... gone. But now the rain we've had during the erm... 'summer,' has taken on a slightly more hostile edge, aided and abetted by some pretty unruly and blustery winds. Monday night was a prime example – it battered down. The horizontal rain lashed my windows and the restless tree outside scraped its branches along the guttering all night (really must trim it back), making getting off to sleep a frustrating process. Eventually though I did and Tuesday dawned dry(ish) and calm.

Now all that rain can only mean one thing – one of my favourite lanes for a potter will be flooded in parts. I always enjoy these occasions because despite the depression and despite being the wrong side of the half century on this planet, I still behave like a small child sometimes, and enjoying splashing through the puddles and floods on a bike is one such occasion. 

Whoop! Here we go...

I see people walking bikes along the footbridge beside fords and think what a right load of boring old farts they must be. Surely it is every cyclist's duty to bomb through puddles and fords, preferably with feet up and off the pedals, and shouting 'wheeee' as they go. If not duty then it should be made law, and what a fun world it would be too, along some commuter heavy routes in particular. Cycling through big puddles is good for the soul. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. 
It's also why I am often to be found taking repeated runs through standing water, camera in hand, trying to grab some splashfest of a photo or other. That's another excuse – it's all in the name of art madam, nothing to do with being immature at all... Ahem...

Anyway, the promise of puddles and floods saw me setting off on the Voodoo (it was already besoiled from its previous outing, otherwise snotty, grotty roads would call for a snotty, grotty bike – the Carerra) armed with a new toy to try out with the GoPro.

When I bought the titchycam, I also got one of those huge bags of mounts that litter the Amazon listings. It was full of useful guff like the oft used so far chest harness, a head harness (yet to try that, needs to be dark for that I think, and somewhere I'm not easily recognised), and a collection of fiendishly clever looking mounting systems to explore, just as soon as I can figure out where they go, and what they might do. Also in the bag though was the dreaded selfie stick. I hate those things, as many others do it would appear. But you don't have to use the darned thing to aim the camera back at your grinning mush filling the frame ahead of some celeb or tourist attraction or whatever, it can be used for all sorts of interesting viewpoints of course, and I had an obvious angle in mind when I added the thing to my gear for the ride. I just hoped I didn't cark it along the way – oh the shame of having a stranger go through my stuff and finding a selfie stick in there. Some things are just too embarrassing to contemplate.


Anyone who could just see my head over the hedge going repeatedly up and down the road, must've thought I kept getting my jacket caught in a bush or something...

Anyway, it was all good wobbly fun, hanging the GoPro upsy down in front of me while riding through the puddles, so the stick proved its worth, and the rest of the ride was an enjoyable one too. It was a sunny periods/showery kind of day, although having donned all my waterproof gear (and spare water wings for the flooded bits – you never know how deep they may be) it didn't actually rain on me, which is typical.

I've often stopped at this gate thinking there is a photo here somewhere, but nothing has really worked in the past for various reasons. On this occasion though I managed to bag a shot I was half pleased with. 

Only a short trundle around one of my local loops then, but still an enjoyable one. It wasn't just the puddles that needed negotiating either, but all the other detritus that a dark and stormy night down here brings – tree branches in the road, mud that'd been dragged out of fields and across the lanes by fast running water, battered and blown recycling bins and so on. 


It wasn't all puddles and mud.

So Autumn is here, but it'd be pretty boring really if it was hot and sunny all year round wouldn't it.


No comments:

Post a Comment